2019-2020 University Catalog 
    Jul 19, 2024  
2019-2020 University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Aid

Colgate provides financial aid to students who are accepted for admission and have demonstrated the need for financial assistance. Colgate is committed to meeting the demonstrated financial need of all admitted students, but the admission process is not need-blind.


A need-based financial aid package, including Colgate grant assistance, is offered to accepted students who file all required forms and statements on time and demonstrate that they cannot provide the full cost of a Colgate education through their own and their families’ resources. A limited number of Colgate grant awards are reserved each year for international students. Believing that students should share responsibility for the cost of their education, the university makes use of available forms of self-help such as work opportunities and loans, as well as grants, in arranging financial assistance.

The amount of aid varies with need, as demonstrated by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the CSS ProfileTM. If parents are divorced or separated, information must be provided by each parent and/or by each parent and their spouse if the parent has remarried. The custodial parent (and spouse, if remarried) must complete the FAFSA and the CSS ProfileTM. Further documentation may be required after initial review. 


  1. Colgate grant assistance is limited to a maximum of eight terms of enrollment for students who matriculate as first-year dependent students, regardless of whether or not they were aid recipients in any given term. Courses transferred to complete Colgate degree requirements will reduce this eligibility.
  2. It is anticipated that students who first matriculate as dependent students will remain dependent for financial aid purposes through completion of their degree requirements. Increased grant assistance is not available to students who marry or who voluntarily declare themselves independent of their parents. Colgate is not able to offer assistance if parents decide that they no longer wish to support the student at Colgate.
  3. Colgate grant assistance is applicable only to resident student programs and Colgate-directed off-campus programs and approved programs.
  4. Colgate grant recipients could receive additional assistance for one Colgate-directed off-campus study group or approved program and one Colgate-directed extended study program. Colgate grant assistance is awarded to meet the extra costs after loans have been increased by $1,500. (For additional information, inquire at the Office of Financial Aid.)
  5. Students attending another institution on an academic leave of absence are not eligible for state or institutional aid.
  6. Visiting students are not eligible for Colgate financial assistance.
  7. Financial aid is not available to international students who do not receive Colgate grant assistance as an entering student.
  8. Students receiving federal or New York State financial aid must maintain satisfactory academic progress and pursuit of program standards for continuance of such aid. Those standards appear below in the New York State Programs section.

Continuation of Aid

Financial aid awards are reviewed and renewed annually so long as it is justified by demonstrated need. Domestic students (U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents) must apply for financial aid each year. International students currently receiving financial aid do not need to re-apply for aid annually.

Veterans Benefits and the Yellow Ribbon Program

Classes are held in residence on the Colgate University campus located at: 13 Oak Drive, Hamilton, New York 13346. Students receiving veterans benefits that include a housing allowance will have their housing allowance determined by the campus zip code.

Colgate participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, a component of the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Eligible military veterans can learn more at benefits.va.gov/gibill. Please note that veterans must be entitled to the maximum benefit rate in order to be — or to have their dependents be — considered for this program. Applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis, with a limit of five new Yellow Ribbon participants per year.

The Yellow Ribbon benefit is a non-need-based award. The Yellow Ribbon benefit will cover on-campus expenses for tuition, housing, meals, and books. The Yellow Ribbon benefit does not cover the additional expense of a Colgate directed off-campus study or extended study group, or a Colgate approved program. Federal loans may be available to help cover these additional costs.

Athletic Scholarships

Colgate offers non-need-based athletic scholarships in selected sports through the Department of Athletics. The scholarship covers partial or all on-campus expenses for tuition, housing, meals, and books. Athletic scholarships do not cover the additional expenses of a Colgate directed off-campus study or extended study group, or a Colgate approved program. Federal loans may be available to help cover these additional costs.

Standard, Current Descriptions of Financial Aid Programs

New York State Programs

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

Application Procedures: Applicants must apply annually to the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC), Albany, New York 12255. The application deadline for the current academic year is June 30. Students can begin the TAP application process by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available at fafsa.gov, or by completing the TAP application directly at hesc.ny.gov.

The Higher Education Services Corporation determines the applicant’s eligibility and notifies the applicant indicating the amount of the grant. The postsecondary institution may defer payment on the basis of receipt of the award certificate. Actual payment is received after the school certifies student eligibility.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards: Tuition Assistance Program is an entitlement program for legal residents of New York State who are U.S. citizens or eligible noncitizens. Other eligibility requirements are listed on the hesc.ny.gov website. The amount of the award is dependent on state legislation and can vary from year to year.

Undergraduate students may generally receive TAP awards for eight semesters of study. 

Continuation of Awards: Eligibility for renewal of awards is dependent upon remaining in good academic standing. To maintain good academic standing, a student must be making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree and pursuing the program of study. Note that satisfactory academic progress for the New York State Tuition Assistance Program differs from federal satisfactory academic progress. Good academic standing for TAP is evaluated each semester in which a New York State award is received.

For pursuit of the program of study, students must enroll in a certain number of credit hours each semester and earn a specific number of credit hours for that semester. For the first year an award is received, a student must earn 50% of the minimum full-time course load for each term. For the second year an award is received, this is increased to 75%, and it increases to 100% in each term of the third year and subsequent semesters an award is received thereafter.

For satisfactory academic progress, students must maintain a specified grade point average and a pace leading to completion of his or her degree within a specified time period. The table below illustrates the specific requirements needed to receive TAP for satisfactory academic progress. The number of course credits that must be accrued depends on the number of TAP payments the student has received, not on the year of enrollment. Visit the NYS HESC website for full information.

The minimum standards of eligibility for undergraduate students are listed in the chart below:

Standard of Satisfactory Academic Progress for Purpose of Determining Eligibility for State Student Aid
Before being certified for this payment
First Second Third Fourth Fifth Sixth Seventh Eighth
A student must have accrued at least this many course credits
0 2 4 7 10 13 17 21
With at least this grade point average 0 1.5 1.8 1.8 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0

Responsibilities of Recipients: Recipients must be in good academic standing in accordance with Commissioner’s Regulations and must not be in default of a loan guaranteed by the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC). A statement of good academic standing, which is established by each institution in accordance with Commissioner’s Regulations, may be obtained from the institution’s financial aid office. Under certain circumstances, defaulted borrowers can be reinstated for TAP eligibility by HESC.

Memorial Scholarships for Children and Spouses of Deceased Police Officers, Firefighters, Volunteer Firefighters, Peace Officers, and Emergency Medical Service Workers
Regents Awards for Child of Deceased or Disabled Veteran (CV)
Nursing Faculty Scholarship
Veterans Tuition Awards

New York State Scholarships for Academic Excellence
World Trade Center Memorial Scholarship
Military Service Recognition Scholarship
State Aid to Native Americans
New York State Math and Science Teaching Incentive Scholarship

Source and contact for programs described above: New York State Higher Education Services Corporation, 99 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12255, 888-697-4372, hesc.com

Vocational Rehabilitation

Application Procedures: Persons with disabilities may obtain a list of local Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR) offices from: Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, New York State Education Department, 1 Commerce Plaza, 19th Floor, Albany, New York 12234.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards: Any person with a substantial employment disability, who can become employable within a reasonable period of time, may be eligible. OVR serves those having any physical, emotional, or intellectual disability except blindness.

Persons legally blind are served by the Commission for the Blind and Visually Handicapped, State Department of Social Services, 40 North Pearl Street, Albany, New York 12243.

Eligible applicants may receive counseling, medical examinations and other evaluation services, physical and mental restoration services, and instruction and training including that given at institutions of postsecondary education.

Clients are asked to share the expenses, based upon state standards, of some of the services provided, such as college or university expenses to enable that client to attain his/her vocational objective. The client is required to maintain an average of C or better.

Federal Programs

Standard of Satisfactory Academic Progress for continued Federal Student Aid Eligibility: Student must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements in order to remain eligible for federal (Title IV) aid. Federal aid at Colgate includes the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplement Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Work-Study Program, and the Federal Direct Loan Program.

In order to meet the minimum SAP standards, students must successfully complete 67% of the cumulative course credits that they attempt and maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0. Total completed credits are calculated by dividing a student’s total number of earned credits by a student’s total number of attempted credits. Withdrawals, course incompletes, repetitions, and transfer credits (not including AP credits) are considered part of a student’s attempted credit total. Students must also complete their programs within 150% of the normal program length. The maximum time frame is reached when the student has attempted more than one-and-one-half the number of course credit hours required to earn the degree. The maximum time-frame standard for transfer-students will consider only those course credit hours attempted at Colgate University, as well as those accepted for transfer credit by the university.

The Office of Financial Aid reviews the academic records of all students at the end of each semester. In addition, the Committee on Standards and Academic Standing (CSAS) reviews the academic performance of all students each term. SAP standards and CSAS standards are separate with each having their own requirements.

The first time a student does not meet SAP standards, the student will be placed in a Financial Aid Warning Status. This means the student is one term away from losing federal financial aid eligibility. The student is still eligible for financial aid and no appeal is necessary at this stage. The student is considered to have used their Warning Status for the term even if they did not receive federal (Title IV) aid for that term.

The second consecutive semester in which the student does not meet the SAP standards, the student will be required to take action in order to be eligible for federal aid. Federal financial aid eligibility may be regained by submitting a financial aid appeal with supporting documentation to the Office of Financial Aid and, if approved, federal financial aid will be reinstated and the student will be placed on a Financial Aid Probation Status for one semester. Students must achieve the minimum SAP standards by the end of their probationary period to remain eligible for federal aid. Note: Federal student aid funds may be suspended for a drug conviction or drug related offense.

Eligibility Requirements for Federal Student Aid: To be eligible for Federal Student Aid, dependent students and their families or independent students, must complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at FAFSA.ed.gov. The student must be a US citizen or an eligible non-citizen and must be an undergraduate/graduate enrolled at least half-time as a matriculated student at an eligible institution. The exception is for a Federal Pell Grant when students can be enrolled less than half time. In addition, students must not be in default or owe a refund for any Federal Title IV aid at any institution and be registered, if applicable, with the Selective Service. The Office of Financial Aid (OFA) confirms eligibility and awards, if applicable, and the amount is based on federal regulations in effect for each federal program.

Federal Pell Grants

The Federal Pell Grant is an entitlement program. The award amount is determined by the Federal Expected Family Contribution (EFC), cost of attendance, and enrollment status i.e. full time, part time. An Institutional Student Information Report (ISIR) will be sent to each applicant based on the information provided in the application. Once the ISIR is received by the Office of Financial Aid (OFA), the award is calculated based on a payment schedule approved annually by Congress.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

Awards are made to students with the lowest EFC (Expected Family Contribution).

Federal Direct Loans

Federal Direct Loans are available to undergraduate students, regardless of family income, for up to $5,500 for the first year of school, $6,500 for the second year, and $7,500 for the third and fourth years. Graduate students may borrow up to $20,500 in a federal direct unsubsidized loan in an academic year. Undergraduate students may be eligible to borrow through the subsidized portion of the Federal Direct Loan program, in which no interest accrues while the student is enrolled at least half time. However, at least $2,000 of each of these amounts can be offered only through the unsubsidized portion of the program.

The interest rate is established annually on July 1 and is a fixed rate for the life of the loan. Interest rates can be found at studentaid.ed.gov. In the unsubsidized portion of the program, interest accrues while the student is in school and may be paid or capitalized. In both portions of the program borrowers pay an origination fee of roughly 1%. Colgate will always award as much subsidized loan as possible before awarding unsubsidized loan; however, in some cases the student is eligible for an unsubsidized loan only.

Repayment is deferred as long as the student remains enrolled at least half-time and for a six month grace period after he/she ceases to be enrolled at least a half-time. Payment of principal may also be deferred for certain categories of borrowers: (1) rehabilitation training; (2) unemployment; (3) economic hardship including the Peace Corps, and (4) during a period of active military service. After ceasing to be at least a half-time student, the borrower must make formal arrangements with the Department of Education’s servicer to begin repayment. Depending on the amount of the loan, the minimum monthly payment will be $50 plus interest. Under unusual and extenuating circumstances the servicer, on request, may permit reduced payments. Repayment in whole or part may be made at any time without penalty.

Federal Direct PLUS Loan

To apply for this loan the borrower, who must be the parent of a dependent undergraduate student, begins the application at studentloans.gov. PLUS loans require a credit check. The maximum loan that can be borrowed is the cost of attendance, minus other aid. Interest rates can be found at studentaid.ed.gov. An origination fee is deducted upon disbursement by the Department of Education. Repayment begins 60 days after the full amount of the loan is disbursed.

Federal Work-Study Program

An institution must make employment reasonably available to eligible students at the institution who are in need of financial aid.

United States Bureau of Indian Affairs Aid to Native Americans

Higher Education Grants: The grant application is available from the education office of the tribe in which you are affiliated or possess membership. As the majority of federally recognized tribes are administering the grant program for their tribal members, call your tribe first. A tribal directory is located on the Department of the Interior’s website. If your tribe is not administering the grant program, they can direct you to the nearest Office of Indian Education Programs Education Line Officer for the application (OMB No. 1076-0101), with instructions for completing and returning the application. More information can be found online at olep.bia.edu.

Veterans Administration (VA) Educational Benefits *
  1. Post-Vietnam Era Veterans Educational Assistance (Chapter 32)
  2. Dependent and Survivors Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)
  3. Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)
  4. Vocational Rehabilitation for Service-Disabled Veterans
  5. Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserves Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1606)
  6. Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)

* Application Procedures: Application forms, information, and assistance in applying for benefits are available at gibill.va.gov.

Additional Information

Additional information may be obtained from the Office of Financial Aid, 315-228-7431 or colgate.edu/financialaid.