AAUP Professor-of-the-Year, awarded by the Colgate chapter of the American Association of University Professors to a member of the faculty who has demonstrated (over time) the virtues of insight, integrity, and dedication to his or her professional career; who has shown commitment to the liberal arts and to the academic community at Colgate; and who has worked with notable honesty and courage.
Alumni Corporation Distinguished Teaching Award, given to members of the faculty who exemplify the qualities possessed by the late Professor David Stern (political science): “He believed in the primacy of teaching; his principal commitment was to his students; he sought to impart not merely knowledge, but the pleasure of knowing — not simply the tools of study, but also the joys of learning.”
Jerome Balmuth Award for Teaching, established in 2009 by Mark Siegel ‘73 in honor of Jerome Balmuth, the Harry Emerson Fosdick Professor of Philosophy and Religion, and awarded for superb teaching by Colgate faculty of undergraduates.
Sidney J. and Florence Felten French Prize, awarded annually for excellence in inspirational teaching; it may go to one teacher or to more than one teacher if awarded for inspirational team teaching.
Howard N. Hartman Coach-of-the-Year Award, given annually to an intercollegiate coach at Colgate in recognition of the ability to motivate, to instill discipline, to help build character and perseverance, to display resourcefulness, and to be adept at teaching the fundamentals of the sport. Records of wins and losses are a minor consideration.
Phi Eta Sigma Professor-of-the-Year, awarded by Phi Eta Sigma, the honorary society for first-year students, for excellence in teaching, service, and dedication to Colgate students.
The Thomas A. Bartlett Chair was established in 1977 through gifts donated to the university to honor President Thomas A. Bartlett H’77, who led Colgate from 1969 to 1977. The chair is used to provide support for faculty who reflect former President Bartlett’s career as a diplomat, public servant, university administrator, and leader of higher education associations.
The Batza Family Chair in Art and Art History was established in 1997 through the generosity of Michael J. Batza Jr., a member of the Class of 1963 and a university trustee emeritus, his wife, Patricia, and daughter, Maureen, a member of the Class of 1990. This endowment supports a chair in art and art history. Selection is based on the individual’s teaching excellence and scholarly achievements.
The Dunham Beldon Jr. Chair of Natural Sciences was established in 1991 by Dunham Beldon Jr., Class of 1929. Awarded to outstanding faculty in the various fields of natural science with preference to the teaching and study of environmental science, the Beldon Chair may be held by a tenured, non-tenured, or newly recruited member of the Colgate faculty.
The John W. Beyer Endowed Chair for Men’s Soccer was established in 2005 by Barry J. Small ‘76. This endowed chair was created in honor of John W. Beyer, a dedicated Colgate employee from 1962 to 2005. Mr. Beyer served as the Men’s Soccer Coach for 14 seasons, during which he posted 81 wins. While at Colgate, he also served as chairman of the Physical Education Program and coach of tennis, basketball, and women’s soccer. This fund is intended to assist Colgate University’s efforts to support and recognize outstanding coaches in the field of soccer.
The Gretchen Hoadley Burke ‘81 Endowed Chair for Regional Studies was established in 2006 by Stephen Burke ‘80 and Gretchen Hoadley Burke ‘81. This fund assists Colgate University’s efforts to support and recognize outstanding scholars whose research interests focus on Upstate New York. This chair is occupied on a rotating basis by visiting or permanent faculty members from diverse disciplines in the arts and humanities, social sciences and/or natural sciences.
The George Carleton Jr. Chair in Philosophy was established in 1997 by Mrs. Charlotte Carleton in memory of her husband, George Carleton Jr. of the Class of 1927. This permanent endowed fund supports a faculty chair in philosophy.
The Russell Colgate Distinguished University Professorship was established in 1974 through generous gifts from John K. Colgate Sr. H’69 and members of his family as a memorial to Russell Colgate. The chair is awarded to a distinguished faculty member in a department or field designated by the dean of the faculty and the president of the university.
The Colgate Professorship in the Humanities was established in 1967 through an anonymous gift and augmented in 1980 by a challenge grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, matched by gifts from friends and alumni. The chair is used to encourage distinguished teacher-scholars to come to Colgate on a visiting basis for one or two semesters.
The George R. and Myra T. Cooley Professorship of Peace and Conflict Studies was established in 1983 through the George R. and Myra T. Cooley Endowment. The Cooley Endowment also provides support for the Peace and Conflict Studies Program. Mr. Cooley, Class of 1921, was awarded an honorary degree by Colgate in 1969.
The William Henry Crawshaw Chair in Literature was established in 1951 through gifts of the Class of 1926 and others. The chair is designed to honor Mr. Crawshaw, Class of 1887, who spent 43 years as a beloved member of the Colgate faculty. A member of the Department of English, Professor Crawshaw also served as acting president and as dean of the college.
The Charles A. Dana Professorship Fund was established by the Charles A. Dana Foundation in 1966. The fund provides partial salary and research support for six distinguished members of the Colgate faculty.
The Harrington and Shirley Drake Chair in the Humanities was established in 1988 by Shirley and Harrington “Duke” Drake ‘41, H’85, former chairman of Colgate’s Board of Trustees. Awarded to an outstanding teacher-scholar who has demonstrated exemplary service to Colgate, the Drake Chair is to be held by a faculty member in the Division of the Arts and Humanities.
The Fred and Marilyn Dunlap Endowed Chair for Football was established in 2012 by Daniel B. Hurwitz in honor of Frederick ‘50 and Marilyn Dunlap P’81 to assist Colgate University’s efforts to support and recognize outstanding coaches in the field of football.
The Edgar W.B. Fairchild Chair of English Literature was established in 1977 by a generous gift from Edgar Fairchild H’83, trustee emeritus and retired chairman of the board of Fairchild Publications.
The Murray W. and Mildred K. Finard Chair in Jewish Studies was established in 1993 by Mildred K. Finard and her son, William G. Finard ‘68. This endowed chair was created to honor Murray W. and Mildred Finard. The chair recognizes in perpetuity the values and commitment shared by the Finard family and assists Colgate in supporting outstanding faculty in Jewish studies.
The Harry Emerson Fosdick Chair in Philosophy and Religion was established in 1957 and completed in 1960 through a generous gift from Myra T. and George R. Cooley ‘21, H’69, augmented by gifts from the Rockefeller family and other donors. This memorial to Mr. Fosdick, Class of 1900, honors a man who attended Colgate Seminary, transferred to Union Theological Seminary, and became one of America’s most influential liberal preachers. James Colgate and his family were friends and financial supporters of Mr. Fosdick.
The Fund for the Study of Great Religions of the World was established anonymously in 1957. This endowed chair was created to encourage the sympathetic study of the religions of the world, to encourage spiritual communication between men and women of differing religious traditions, and to encourage through teaching, writing, and scholarly research the sympathetic presentation of the religions of the world as they are seen by their participants.
The Neil R. Grabois Chair in Mathematics was established in 1999 by trustees and friends of the university in honor of Neil R. Grabois, Colgate’s 13th president, who led the university from 1988 to 1999.
The Richard J. and Joan Head Chair in Philosophy was established in 2006 by the estate of Richard J. Head ‘50 to assist the university in attracting and retaining outstanding faculty in the field of philosophy.
The Charles G. Hetherington Professorship in Mathematics was first awarded in 1994. The endowment from which this professorship evolved was established in 1976 through a generous bequest made available from Charles G. Hetherington ‘16, and is awarded to an outstanding faculty member in the Department of Mathematics.
The Robert Hung-Ngai Ho Endowed Chair in Asian Studies was established in 1993 through a generous gift from Robert Hung-Ngai Ho ‘56. This endowed chair was established to bring prominence to Colgate’s Asian Studies Program by recognizing a distinguished, tenured teacher-scholar in this program. Selection is based on the individual’s teaching excellence and scholarly achievements.
The Charles Evans Hughes Chair of Government and Jurisprudence was established by the university in the 1960s with funds from a bequest made by Mr. Hughes, former Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, and supplemented by gifts from his children and others. The chair is used to bring visiting professors to campus to teach in the areas of political science, government, and other fields in keeping with Justice Hughes’ background.
The Christian A. Johnson Endeavor Foundation Artist-in-Residence was established in 1986 as a challenge grant in support of the arts at Colgate. The residency program permits one or more artists or scholars in each of the areas of fine arts, music, and theater to become part of the Colgate community every academic year.
The Christian A. Johnson Endeavor Chair in Liberal Arts Studies was established in 1996 by the Christian A. Johnson Endeavor Foundation to support Colgate’s liberal arts core curriculum. This chair is held by senior faculty members in three-year rotations and occasionally by a distinguished visiting professor.
The William R. Kenan Jr. Chair Fund was established by the William R. Kenan Charitable Trust in 1972 in support of the Kenan Professorship. After receiving a recommendation from the dean of the faculty, the president selects the Kenan Professor and the department with which he or she is affiliated. The objective of the chair is to honor William R. Kenan Jr. and to support and encourage a scholar-teacher whose enthusiasm for learning, commitment to teaching, and sincere personal interest in students enhances the learning process and makes an effective contribution to the undergraduate community.
The Richard M. Kessler Chair of Economic Studies was established in 1988 by Richard Kessler ‘52 to assist the university in attracting and retaining outstanding faculty in the field of economics.
The Kindler Family Chair in Global Contemporary Art was established in 2006 by Robert ‘76 and Pamela Pickert Kindler ‘76 to assist the university’s efforts to recognize excellence in research and teaching in the field of contemporary art and criticism, with a special emphasis on the global aspects of visual art production, reception, and distribution.
The Gordon and Dorothy Kline Faculty Chair in Chemistry was established in 1988 through the trust of Dr. Gordon M. Kline ‘25. This endowed chair is awarded to an outstanding faculty member in the Department of Chemistry.
The George Dorland Langdon Jr. Endowed Professorship of History was established by the Colgate trustees in 1988 to recognize President Langdon’s accomplishments in strengthening the quality of intellectual life of the university, and was augmented in 2002 by a grant from the Kresge Foundation, on the occasion of Dr. Langdon’s retirement from its Board of Trustees.
The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Chair was established by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation in 1981 and is designed to bring new and promising faculty members to the institution.
The A. Lindsay O’Connor Chair of American Institutions was established in 1965 by Mrs. Olive B. O’Connor. The Chair honors the lifelong interests of Judge O’Connor, who was a New York State Supreme Court Justice in the Sixth Judicial District from 1943 until his retirement. The chair supports visiting professors in a variety of fields related to American institutions, including history, economics, and other fields of social science related to law.
The Olive B. O’Connor Professorship of Literature was established in 1965 by Mrs. Olive B. O’Connor. The funds are used to support visiting scholar-teachers in English literature, American literature, or comparative literature.
The Harvey Picker Professorship in International Relations was established in 1965 by Mrs. Evelyn Picker in honor of her son, Harvey Picker ‘36, H’69. The holder of this appointment may be either an American or a non-United States citizen who is distinguished in the field of international relations.
The Jean Picker Chair was established in 1995 by Dr. Harvey Picker ‘36, H’69 in memory of his wife, Jean Picker. The chair is established to recognize the special contributions of women faculty members at Colgate University and in recognition of Jean Picker in helping Colgate realize its mission as a coeducational institution. The holder of this appointment focuses on enhancing the educational opportunities of Colgate students, particularly women.
The Raab Family Chair in Biology was established in 1999 by G. Kirk Raab ‘59, a trustee emeritus. The chair is awarded to support and recognize outstanding faculty in the field of biology.
The Mark S. Randall Jr. Endowed Chair for Swimming and Diving was established in 2004 by Robert A. Fox ‘59. This endowed chair was created in memory of Mark S. Randall Jr., longtime Colgate Swimming and Diving Coach. The fund is intended to assist Colgate University’s efforts to support and recognize outstanding coaches in the field of swimming and diving.
The Donald M. and Constance H. Rebar Chair in the Humanities was established in 1997 through the generosity of Donald M. Rebar, a member of the Class of 1955, and his wife, Constance. This endowment supports a chair in the humanities; selection is based on the individual’s teaching excellence and scholarly achievements.
The W.S. Schupf Endowed Chair in Far Eastern Studies was established in 1996 by Paul J. Schupf ‘58, a trustee emeritus of Colgate University, in memory of his father, W.S. Schupf. The Schupf Chair is awarded to a member of the faculty whose academic pursuits involve one of the far eastern countries.
The Arnold A. Sio Chair in Diversity and Community was established in 2004 by John K. Runnette ‘54, in honor of Arnold A. Sio, professor of sociology and anthropology, emeritus. The chair is awarded to assist Colgate University’s efforts to support and recognize outstanding scholars who, through research, teaching, and service activities, demonstrate a sustained commitment to the principles of diversity embraced by the institution.
The Donald F. Vaughan Endowed Coaching Chair for Men’s Ice Hockey was established in 2007 by William Johnston ‘73 and four fellow alumni. This endowed chair was created in honor of Donald F. Vaughan, a dedicated Colgate employee from 1992 to the present. By 2007, when the chair was endowed, Mr. Vaughan had served as the Head Coach of Men’s Ice Hockey for fourteen seasons, during which he had posted 239 wins. The fund for this chair is intended to assist Colgate University’s efforts to support and recognize outstanding coaches in the field of men’s ice hockey.
The Banfi Vintners Chair in Economics was established by the Villa Banfi Foundation in 1985. The chair may be held by a newly appointed distinguished professor of the Colgate faculty, a distinguished visiting professor, or a business executive in residence. Under the auspices of the chair, courses in the American economy are emphasized.
The Harold Orville Whitnall Chair in Geology was established in 1951 to honor Dr. Harold Orville Whitnall, Class of 1900, H’44, who taught at Colgate from 1903 to 1945.
The W. Bradford Wiley Chair in International Economics was established in 1987 by W. Bradford Wiley ‘32, H’66 and John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Publishers. In donating its portion of the grant, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. honored W. Bradford Wiley for his service to education and international affairs and as an alumnus and former trustee of Colgate University. The chair is awarded to support and encourage a scholar-teacher in the field of international economics.
The Roy D. and Margaret B. Wooster Chair was established through the generosity of Roy Wooster Jr. ‘50 in honor of his mother and father, a 1921 graduate. The donation completed a challenge from the National Endowment for the Humanities to establish a permanent endowment for a professorship in the humanities. The Wooster Chair is awarded to a distinguished teacher and scholar of the classics and/or ancient religious studies.